In my opinion, when a manager gives precise directives, communicates well with his / her staff, treats all well, dedicates time for employees, accepts full responsibility, and expresses appreciation for a job well done…. he / she is a good manager.
When a manager is chaotic, erratic, explosive, articulates poorly, is indecisive, does not communicate or spend time with his / her staff, throws employees under the bus, intimidates, and does not comment on jobs well done… he / she is a poor manager.
My philosophy is that people are the number one asset in a company. This is very often forgotten.
Companies who follow this “People First” rule usually find their employees are loyal, hard-working, and contented with their jobs. It is vital that the employee “takes ownership” of their job. Training to improve a position should be ongoing and it is vital to promote a “we” attitude instead of ruling with fear and intimidation.
– – – – – – – – –
Recently, I met with a respected and successful company that had complete intolerance for anyone in their office who was a bully, who yelled at others, who was disrespectful, who belittled others, who used threats as a way to intimidate…the list goes on and on. The HR Director of this company had been given clear instructions to immediately escort the abusive person out the door and to terminate their employment. I was so impressed with this… Strong management skills are a huge asset for any successful company. Education and experience should be the backbone of any person in management. Training for long-term employees should be ongoing so they keep up with “newbies” coming in armed with a variety of skills they don’t understand.
A management story from a friend that I found to be completely amazing…….recently, their supervisor told them to “slow down….you are too efficient”…then the next day the same supervisor said “hurry up…this is urgent.” Ying and yang ……and not in a good way.
My thoughts regarding “good management skills” is to “treat employees like you would like to be treated” – heard that somewhere? Good managers who treat their employees well and provide good, HONEST, leadership is badly needed in today’s workforce.
When people join together with good intentions and pure hearts……great happens.
When people join together dressed in ego and greed……bad happens.
My goal in life is to live in “great happens.”
Marketing launched the Ouachita Rod & Gun Club in 2014 by request of leadership.
- 155 members plus 6 successful events: Kayak fishing, Club Membership Launch Party, Fish Fry, Trap Shooting, Trout Fishing and Fly Fishing Demo.
- All materials created.
- Monthly membership e-blast open-rate YTD (10/23/14): 53%.
The Recreation Department is now managing the day-to-day responsibilities of this Club.
Successfully launched seven golf course apps for Hot Springs Village in partnership with Troon Golf…
Download apps on PlayOST.com
Just a few of the operational projects I accomplished for Hot Springs Village this past year:
Modernized Permitting & Inspections (online store):
- 55 permits sold online to date (10/23/14) via CitizenServe (an online permitting & inspections software company).
- Streamlined operations providing long-term cost savings.
- Rewrote all permits using a customer service / partnership tone vs. abrasive tone.
Managed Training Programs:
- Hosted six training sessions on marketing materials, amenities and visitor service, and, three sessions on social media including Facebook, Twitter, Blogs and more for employees
Recommended New Information Technology System:
- Researched, negotiated costs and planned cross-functional team demonstrations
- Total E Integrated was awarded the project; significant cost savings will begin once the new system is implemented from streamlined operations, improved processes, more accurate and automatic information (vs. manual) and real-time reporting. This project is now being implemented by the IT department and CFO.
Researched New Gate Software:
- After significant research, recommended and negotiated a contract with Capsure (a gate management software company).
- Hotel market study
- Brand position study
Launched Call Center:
- Provided content database for the new Hot Springs Village Call Center.
- Researched technology solutions to implement as future improvements.
The Call Center is now being managed by Administration and is proving to be a great member service asset.
Provided assistance to the Recreation and Development team to launch Grove Park in 2014. This great new amenity in Hot Springs Village offers an outdoor venue for the Farmers’ Market (Green Market), Artisan Market, Rock Porch Sessions and Rhythm Jams.